Monday, June 13, 2011

England

I must say that I absolutely love this country, and if I ever find a way to obtain a work visa for the UK (which is INCREDIBLY difficult for an American) I AM moving here. The public transport here is amazing, you can get ANYWHERE without waiting more than 5 minutes for a train or the tube. All of the train stations are also centralized in the heart of the city or the neighborhood that you are going to, so no need to walk through the ghetto to get to your destination (like Amtrak or Greyhound). It's accessible, it's beautiful, it's everything I could want.

I challenge anyone to find a cuter, more adorable country in the world than England. No matter what town you exit the train at, or what part of London you come out of the underground at, anywhere, the towns, cities, villages are just adorable! All the buildings are like something out of a storybook. Everything is so centralized and perfect. I could live here for aesthetic purposes alone.

My visit to England this time has been much different than my visits in the past. This time I actually have friends that I am visiting here, and it definitely gives you a different experience and perspective. The experience for me this time around is normal. I'm not getting that whole newness feeling and crazy excitement that I got the first time I came to London (which I suppose is understandable). I have been going to the pubs with friends and their friends, having dinner at people's houses, and taking the train to other places to meet old friends. The first time I arrived in London, I recall being so giddy about the small differences such as the tiny coke bottles, two level buses, and gingerbread looking buildings. This time, it's just part of London.







Hampton Court Palace

I've been staying in Wimbledon with Andrew
and Amy, and spending some time with Graham and his fiancee as well. Wimbledon is great, but I have made my way to Hampton, where you will find the Hampton Court Palace. From there I took a boat ride down the Thames river to Kingston, very calming. I explored Central London near Trafalgar Square, where I went to the British National Museum (free like most museums here). They had thousands of paintings ranging in years from 1200-1940 maybe. I saw some original Van Vough's (which
apparently us Americans have been saying wrong all of these years! it's Van Gof!!!) There were Monet's, and tons of Jesus paintings...I think Jesus and royalty is the only thing people were allowed to paint pre-1400's.

Trafalgar Square (Central London
outside the National Museum)

A few days ago I rode the train down to Bournemouth to meet Graham Hogg, someone I met in Prague 8 years ago and ran away with. It was a trip, but it was well worth it. It was great to see Graham again, even though so much has changed, and Bournemouth is a very cute place. It's also where Roald Dahl's book, The Witches took place. I really liked that town, I have liked everywhere I have been so far. I've had the opportunity to explore a lot more this time around, and am not stuck just in Central London (which I have been enjoying immensely as well).



Bournemouth with Graham Hogg


I went to Camden Market, which didn't have as much as an appeal as it did at the age of 22. Now I just see a bunch of hipster kids trying to look cool.

Sunday night I actually got caught up in a pub over by Waterloo station. A band started playing, a traditional Irish band. Live Irish music is one of my weaknesses. I love Irish music, and I just love the Irish, Ireland is another place I would love to live. Anyway, after enjoying the music for about half an hour, I got the invite to join the band at the table. Got to talking and unfortunately none of them were really Irish, but they could play Irish music quite well! They played the Lakes of Pontchartrain for me! The band stopped playing at about 10pm, but I hung out with them until quite late. I don't think I got home until about 3am...the tube and trains were all shut down, but London has night buses that take for freakin' ever, but get you to where you need to go.
Graham and Drew skipping rocks along the Thames River

Floating along down the Thames

On my last day here I took a daytrip to Greenwich, where the Eastern Hemisphere meets the Western hemisphere...and time begins! I love that part of town, I fell in love with it the first time I was here. I went to the Maritime museum and I explored Greenwich park, one of the overlooks has the most picturesque view of all of London. Here is a picture. I also took a riverboat ferry down the Thames river to get there.





I've had quite and excellent time with my wonderful London hosts, Amy and Drew. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't have had such a true "London experience".

Tomorrow I catch my flight into Warsaw, Poland, and the REAL backpacking trip begins!!!
Tower of London from the Thames River

2 comments:

  1. So funny to hear you cooing over London (like one would a baby, har har har).. and so rad to hear about your adventures! Now to explore the brand new!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, babies don't do it for me. Much rather coo over stuff that is actually fun :

    ReplyDelete